The ketogenic diet, also known as Keto diet is a diet which is low in carbs and high in fats contributing abundant health benefits.
In Reality, more than 20 studies demonstrate that Keto diet can contribute a lot in your weight loss and thus, helps to make your health better in many ways.
You will be amazed to know that a ketogenic diet can also help to cure diabetes, epilepsy, cancer and Alzheimer’s disease.
Let’s dig a little deep about Ketogenic Diet.
What is a ketogenic diet?
This diet is low in carbs and high in fat which is quite similar to the Atkins diet but is not exactly the same.
The concept of the ketogenic diet is highly reducing the carbs intake in the body and substitute with fat. After experiencing the carbs reduction, the body goes in ketosis metabolic state. In this state, the human body becomes very adept to burn fats and thus convert fats to effective energy. Fats also get converted to ketones into the liver, thus supplying energy for human brain.
Ketogenic diet helps to reduce blood sugar or insulin level by following proper guidelines given by online platforms like Ketosumo.
Ketogenic Diet Types
- Standard ketogenic diet (SKD):This diet includes low carbohydrates, balanced protein and high-fat intake. This diet usually includes 75% of fat, 20% of protein and 5% of carbs.
- Cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD):It involves repetitions of high-carb food after a certain period, like five ketogenic days are followed by two high-carb diet days.
- Targeted ketogenic diet (TKD):In this diet, you can add carbs to your diet at times near to workout times.
- High-protein ketogenic diet:This diet is quite similar to the standard ketogenic diet (SKD), but involves more protein intake. This diet usually includes 60% of fat, 35% of protein and 5% of carbs.
However, SKD and CKD methods are studied broadly. TKD and High- protein Ketogenic Diet methods are used by athletes and bodybuilders only.
Shed those extra pounds with Ketogenic diet
With Keto diet, you can lose weight easily and reduced risk of diseases is a bonus. Even the diet enthusiasts these days claim that this diet is much better than other low-fat diets which are very common to be recommended.
The diet does not make you feel hungry. While taking the keto diet, you don’t need to keep an eye on your calorie or food intake.
One study reveals that people who were on a keto diet lost weight 2.2 times faster than those who were on restricted fat diet.
Benefits of Keto diet for Diabetics and Prediabetics
Diabetes is the condition when metabolism is tempered, blood sugar goes higher than normal and insulin hormone in the body functions in a defective way.
As we know, the Keto diet helps to lose fat and fat is firmly related to Diabetes, Pre-diabetes and diseases related to metabolism.
One study on people suffering from diabetes revealed that 33% participants could finally stop the intake of all the diabetes medications after following Keto diet. Moreover, as per another study, 95.2% of the keto diet group could reduce or stop the diabetes medication, compared to 62% in the high-carb diet group.
Another study reveals that keto diet helped to improve the insulin level by around 75%.
We have already discussed above that keto helps to lose extra weight compared to a low-fat diet. Keeping in mind the relation of fat with diabetes, the patients of diabetes are recommended keto diet compared to the low-fat diet. Ketosumo is an online platform which provides informative articles related to the keto diet.
More Health Benefits of Keto Diet
Do you know that many complex neurological diseases can be treated using the Ketodiet? Below mentioned are few more health benefits of keto diet:
- Heart disease: The keto diet can help to reduce risks of heart diseases like HDL cholesterol levels, BP and blood sugar.
- Cancer: Keto diet, these days, is being highly used to cure different types of cancer. This diet also helps to slow down the growth of the tumor in the body.
- Alzheimer’s disease: This diet may help to cure the signs of Alzheimer’s disease and also helps to slow down its progression.
- Epilepsy: Studies have revealed that the keto diet can result in plenty of reductions in seizures in epileptic children.
- Parkinson’s disease: Signs of Parkinson’s disease can be cured using the Keto diet.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: Polycystic ovary syndrome is becoming very common in women these days. This syndrome can be reduced by lowering the insulin level which further can be lowered by using the Keto
- Brain injuries: A study done on animals revealed that concussions can be reduced using a keto diet and thus, helping to fasten the recovery from the brain injury.
- Acne: Acne can be treated when there is a low insulin level in the body, lesser sugar intake and lesser consumption of processed food. All this can be made possible with the Keto
Foods to make the distance from
- Foods with sugar: Fruit juice, Soda, smoothies, ice cream, cake, candy, etc.
- Grains or starches: Rice, pasta, Wheat-based products, cereal, etc.
- Fruit: All fruits except few of berries like strawberries etc.
- Beans or legumes: Kidney beans, lentils, Peas, chickpeas, etc.
- Root vegetables and tubers: Sweet Potatoes, carrots, Potatoes, parsnips, etc.